Producers – Life & Health, Property & Casualty, Adjusters
24 CE hours*, including 3 hours of Ethics and 1 hour of legislative changes to the Montana statutes, are required every 2 year license term.
*See Special Training/Education Requirements below.
Limited Lines Credit Only Producers
5 CE hours, including 1 hour of legislative changes to the Montana statutes, are required every 2 year license term.
Special Training/Education Requirements
Long-Term Care (LTC)
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in Montana, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course. Producers may take any 8-hr NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: From the date of completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24 months thereafter. Producers may take any 4-hr NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.
All Montana property/casualty producers and adjusters who sell flood insurance should complete a one-time, 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training if instructed to do so by their insurer.
- Nonresident producers are not required to complete the Montana CE requirements as long as the producer is in good standing with his or her home state. Nonresidents are required to submit to the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance a letter of certification from their home states certifying compliance in that state. If the home state does not require CE, the nonresident producer must complete Montana’s CE requirements. Nonresident producers must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by the state of Montana prior to the license expiration date.
- Nonresident adjusters are not required to completed the Montana CE requirements as long as the adjuster completes the CE requirements of his or her home state and the home state is one of the following Montana approved reciprocal states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah or Wyoming. If the home state is not reciprocal with the state of Montana, the adjuster will need to complete the Montana CE requirements In order to renew the Montana license, nonresident adjusters must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by the state of Montana prior to the license expiration date.
The license term is every 2 years, based on the first day of the licensee’s birth month in odd- or even-numbered years. Licensees who were born in an even-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in even-numbered years. Licensees who were born in an odd-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in odd-numbered years.
A course may not be taken for credit more than once within 2 years from the original completion date.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next license term.
Licensees are exempt from CE requirements if one of following is true:
- The licensee holds a temporary license.
- The licensee has been otherwise exempted by the Montana commissioner.
Exam proctor requirements
Exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. A disinterested third party is an individual with no family or financial relationship to the student, therefore a proctor should not serve for examinations of family members, relatives, or dependents; employers or supervisors; employees or subordinates; partners, joint ventures, or co-owners; or anyone in whom the proctor or instructor has an economic or other interest in assuring the successful outcome of the examination.
Self-study final exams are closed book. Students may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress. The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. If the final exam is not passed on the first attempt, students have an unlimited number of retakes.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Montana and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
Net Study provides information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither Net Study nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.