Montana Insurance CE

Browse our Montana Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Montana?

Yes. Our Montana state approval number is: 15276475.

Where can I look up my CE transcript?
How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Montana?

A roster fee of $1.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Montana?

Producers: 24 hours, including 3 hours of ethics and 1 hour of legislative changes to the Montana statutes, every 2-year license term.

Limited Lines Credit Only Producers: 5 CE hours, including 1 hour of legislative changes to the Montana statutes, are required every 2 year license term.


Special Training Education Requirements
Flood All Montana property/casualty producers and adjusters who sell flood insurance should complete a one-time, 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training if instructed to do so by their insurer. 
Long Term Care

Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in Montana, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course. Producers may take any 8-hr NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.

Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: From the date of completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24 months thereafter. Producers may take any 4-hr NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in Montana?

Nonresident producers are not required to complete the Montana CE requirements as long as the producer is in good standing with his or her home state.  Nonresidents are required to submit to the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance a letter of certification from their home states certifying compliance in that state. If the home state does not require CE, the nonresident producer must complete Montana’s CE requirements.  Nonresident producers must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by the state of Montana prior to the license expiration date. 

Nonresident adjusters are not required to completed the Montana CE requirements as long as the adjuster completes the CE requirements of his or her home state and the home state is one of the following Montana approved reciprocal states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah or Wyoming.  If the home state is not reciprocal with the state of Montana, the adjuster will need to complete the Montana CE requirements In order to renew the Montana license, nonresident adjusters must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by the state of Montana prior to the license expiration date.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years, based on the first day of the licensee’s birth month in odd- or even-numbered years.  Licensees who were born in an even-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in even-numbered years.  Licensees who were born in an odd-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in odd-numbered years.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within 2 years from the original completion date.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Montana?

No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next license term.

Are there any CE exemptions in Montana?

Licensees are exempt from CE requirements if one of following is true:

  •   The licensee holds a temporary license.
  •   The licensee has been otherwise exempted by the Montana commissioner.
How may I contact the state of Montana?
Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
Phone: (406) 444-2040
Fax: (406) 444-3497
Mailing Address:
840 Helena Avenue
Helena, MT  59601
Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Montana Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.