Wisconsin Insurance CE

Browse our Wisconsin Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Wisconsin?

Yes. Our Wisconsin state approval number is: 20915.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which we receive their signed affidavit, issued upon completion of their final exam. If an affidavit is received outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

Wisconsin insurance continuing education requires an impartial third-party proctor be present during your final exam. The proctor cannot be a friend, relative or co-worker of the licensee, nor anyone with a financial interest in the exam result.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Wisconsin?

A roster fee of $1.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Wisconsin?

Producers – Life & Health and Property & Casualty: 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2 year license term.


Special Training Education Requirements

Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in Wisconsin, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours by the Wisconsin OCI. 

Flood Wisconsin property and casualty producers who also sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood training. 
Life Settlement Brokers

Initial 8-Hour Life Settlement Broker Training: Individuals applying for a Life Settlement Broker license must complete an initial training course of not less than 8 hours prior to applying for the license. *Satisfaction of the training requirements in another state that are substantially similar to the requirements of Wisconsin will be deemed to satisfy Wisconsin's requirement. To be considered substantial the course would have to be approved for at least the minimum number of credit hours and include the topics outlined in Wisconsin statute (632.69 (3), Wis. Stat., and s. Ins 2.18 (4), Wis. Adm. Code).

Ongoing 4-Hour Life Settlement Broker Training: Individual Life Settlement Brokers must complete 2 hours of ongoing training every year for a total of 4 hours every 24 months.

Long Term Care

Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in Wisconsin, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course, of which 2 hours must contain Wisconsin-specific Medicaid and long-term care information.

Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completion of the initial training, all intermediaries must complete one 4-hour training course specific to long-term care insurance every 24 months concurrent with each individual's license renewal period, of which 1 hour must contain Wisconsin-specific Medicaid training.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in Wisconsin?

Nonresident agents are exempt from the Wisconsin CE requirement if they are in good standing with their state, except for the Annuity and LTCP training.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training Requirement

  • Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in Wisconsin, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.

  • Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are substantially similar to Wisconsin's law will be deemed compliant for Wisconsin's requirement.  The course must include, but not be limited to, identification of the parties to an annuity, how fixed, variable and indexed annuity contract provisions affect consumers, the application of income taxation of qualified and nonqualified annuities, the primary use of annuities as well as appropriate sales practices, replacement and disclosures.

Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance

  • Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in Wisconsin, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course. This course can be completed for any state, but if taken for Wisconsin, there is no need to take the Wisconsin Medicaid Training course.

  • Wisconsin Medicaid Training: For non-residents who have completed the initial LTC Partnership Training course in another state, they must take a 2-hour Medicaid Training course specific to Wisconsin.

  • Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, LTC producers must complete 4-hours of state-approved LTC training every 24-month period following the completion of the initial training requirement. *Nonresidents who complete the ongoing training in another state must still complete a 1-hour Wisconsin Medicaid Training course.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years ending on the last day of the licensee's birth month.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a 2 year license term.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Wisconsin?

Excess CE hours cannot be carried over for credit.

Are there any CE exemptions in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin resident agents who hold an exclusive limited line insurance license for credit, legal expense, travel, and title insurance are not required to take CE courses.  Nonresidents are not required to supply the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance with evidence of completing continuing education in their home states.  

How may I contact the state of Wisconsin?

Wisconsin Department of Insurance
Phone: 608-266-3585
Fax: 608-267-9451
Email: ociagentlicensing@wisconsin.gov

Mailing Address:
Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
125 S. Webster St.
Madison, WI 53703-3474

Phone: 877-876-4430
Fax: 404-656-0874
Web site: www.sircon.com  

Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Wisconsin Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.