Utah Insurance CE

Browse our Utah Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Utah?

Yes. Our Utah state approval number is: 8782.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are open book. Producers may refer to the course material as often as needed. Most of our courses allow you to download the class materials as a PDF. Please check the details page of your desired course to see if such material is available.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Utah?

A roster fee of $1.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Utah?

Producers and Adjusters: 24 hours including 3 hours of ethics.

Title: 12 hours including 3 hours of ethics.

CE Course Restrictions: 50% of the required CE hours must be in classroom or approved online classroom equivalent courses. No more than 50% of the training may be from courses provided by insurers. Outside of the ethics requirement, the remaining training can be from any line of insurance so long as the course is approved by the Utah Insurance Department.


Special Training Education Requirements
Flood Utah producers who also sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 5-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training. 
Long Term Care

Initial 3-hour LTC training requirement:  Before selling LTC insurance products in Utah, producers must complete an initial 3-hour, state-approved LTC training course.

Ongoing 3-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 3-hour training requirement, producers continuing to sell LTC must complete 3 hours of state-approved LTC training during every 24-month licensing period after the period in which they completed the initial training.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in Utah?

A nonresident producer who has complied with continuing education requirements in his/her home state is not required to complete additional CE for their non-resident license in Utah.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years based on the last day of the producer’s birth month. 

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a 2 year license term

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Utah?

Excess CE credits may not be carried over to the next renewal period.

Are there any CE exemptions in Utah?

In accordance with 31A-23a-113(1)(b), a licensee whose license lapses due to military service, voluntary service for a period of time designated by the person for whom the licensee provides voluntary service, or some other extenuating circumstance, such as long term medical disability, may be exempt from the continuing education requirements in order to reinstate the license.

In accordance with 31A-23a-202(3)(d)(i), a licensee who was first licensed before December 31, 1982 may be exempt from continuing education requirements.

Producers holding and maintaining the following designations are deemed to have met the CE requirements: CLU, ChFC and RHU with completion of the PACE program; CPCU with completion of the CPD program; and CFP, REBC, CIC, ACSR, CRM, SOFE, or IRES with completion of their continuing education requirements.

To apply for an exemption, attach a current proof of good standing letter for your designation when paying the renewal fee. Then contact Michael Covington at mcovington@utah.gov to inform her of your attached letter.

Title Only
In accordance with 31A-23a-202(3)(b)(i)(iii)(C), a title producer who is an active member in good standing with the State Bar, and has met the continuing education requirements of the Utah State Bar, is considered to have met the continuing education requirements for the Utah Insurance Department.

To apply for an exemption, attach a current letter of good standing from the Utah State Bar when paying the renewal fee. Then contact Michael Covington at mcovington@utah.gov to inform her of your attached letter.

How may I contact the state of Utah?

Utah Department of Insurance
Phone: (801) 538-3800
Fax: (801) 538-3829
Email: mcovington@utah.gov

Mailing Address:
Utah Department of Insurance
3110 State Office Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84114

Phone: (877) 876-4430
Fax: (404) 656-0874
Website: www.sircon.com

Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Utah Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.