New York Insurance CE

Browse our New York Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in New York?

Yes. Our New York state approval number is: NYPO-100425.

Where can I look up my CE transcript?
You may look up your transcript using the following link:

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in New York?

No. There are no processing fees in this state.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in New York?

Licensees: 15 hours every 2-year license term.

Adjusters: 15 hours every 2-year license term.

CE Course Restrictions: You must take courses that are approved for your specific class of license.

Effective November 12, 2021, the Department of Financial Services amended Part 20 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations (Regulations 9, 18 and 29), mandating the completion of certain courses to renew the insurance license. Of the 15 credit hours of instruction required in accordance with Insurance Law Section 2132, the licensee shall satisfactorily complete courses or programs of instruction or attend seminars, as the superintendent may approve, that provide:

  • at least one hour of Insurance Law instruction.
  • at least one hour of ethics and professionalism instruction.
  • at least one hour of diversity, inclusion, and elimination of bias instruction.
  • at least one hour of flood insurance instruction if the licensee is licensed to sell one or more lines of property/casualty insurance.
  • and at least three hours of enhanced flood insurance instruction if the licensee sells flood insurance through the NFIP.

These requirements shall apply to a licensee whose license renews on or after April 1, 2022.


Special Training Education Requirements

Regulation 187 (Part 224 of Title 11 of the Official Compilation of the State of New York) requires insurers set forth standards and procedures for recommendations to consumers with respect to annuity contracts so that the insurance needs and financial objectives of the consumers are appropriately addressed. This part applies to any recommendation to purchase or replace an annuity contract made on or after June 30, 2011.These standards and procedures are substantially similar to the NAIC Suitability in Annuity Transactions Model Regulation.

Section 224.4 (g) & (h) holds the insurance company responsible for ensuring that every producer recommending its annuity products is adequately trained to make the recommendation, however, the regulation does not require the completion of specific training classes.

Flood All New York Producers authorized to sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training. 
Long Term Care

A New York licensed producer who has the accident/health line of authority on their agent license issued under Section 2103(a) of the Insurance Law (prefix of LA), or on their broker license issued under Section 2104 (b)(1)(A) of the Insurance Law (prefix of LB) or is licensed a broker under Section 2104(B) of the Insurance Law (prefix of BR) is authorized to sell long term care insurance in New York.

To sell partnership, please contact the Department of Health

What are the non-resident CE requirements in New York?

Non-Resident Producers: New York State Insurance Law enables this Department to accept a Letter of Certification from a non-resident licensee’s home state indicating that the licensee is in good standing and is in compliance with the requirements of that state, including any CE requirements. You will be asked to attest to the completion of the CE requirements of your home state on the Department’s Online License Renewal Application. You should obtain a copy of a Letter of Certification from your home state insurance department and retain the document with your records for future reference.

Non-Resident Pubic Adjusters: There is no CE reciprocity for Public Adjusters. All New York licensed Public Adjusters must complete New York approved CE courses.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term for Producers is every 2 years. If you were born in an even numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an even numbered year. If you were born in an odd numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an odd numbered year. The effective and expiration dates appear on all licenses.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

Courses may not be repeated for CE credit at any time. 

Is there a CE carryover allowance in New York?

No. Section 2132 of the New York State Insurance Law forbids the carryover of excess credits from one licensing period to the next licensing period.

Are there any CE exemptions in New York?

The following individuals are exempt from CE requirements:

  • Licensees who hold an Independent Adjuster license
  • Licensees who hold a Bail Bond license
  • Licensees who hold a Mortgage Guarantee license
  • Licensees who hold a Re-insurance Intermediary license
  • Licensees currently on active military duty
  • Non-resident producers in good standing with their home state.
How may I contact the state of New York?
New York Department of Financial Services
Phone: 518-474-6630
Fax: 518-474-5048
Mailing Address:
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our New York Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.