New Mexico Insurance CE

Browse our New Mexico Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in New Mexico?

Yes. Our New Mexico state approval number is: 1234.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are open book. Producers may refer to the course material as often as needed. Most of our courses allow you to download the class materials as a PDF. Please check the details page of your desired course to see if such material is available.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in New Mexico?

A roster fee of $2.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in New Mexico?

Licensees: 24 hours, including 3 hours of ethics, every compliance period.

Title: 10 hours on title insurance, including 3 hours specifically on the proper handling of escrow funds.

Limited Surety Agents, Property Bondsmen, Solicitors and Bail Bond Solicitors: 14 hours of approved courses covering the Bail Bondsmen Licensing Law, Sections 59A-1-1 et seq. NMSA 1978 and related regulations during each two-year compliance period.

CE Course Restrictions: A minimum of three hours of continuing education course hours for each compliance period must be earned through participation in a formal classroom or in another learning format that permits the student to interact with a live instructor. Courses must cover some or all of the kinds of insurance for which they are licensed during each compliance period.


Special Training Education Requirements
Flood All producers selling policies through the National Flood Insurance Program must complete a flood insurance course of at least 3 hours before selling the product.
Long Term Care

Initial 8-hour LTC Partnership training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in North Dakota, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.

Ongoing 4-hour LTC Partnership training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24-month period.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in New Mexico?

Nonresident licensees that do not complete CE in their home state must complete New Mexico’s CE requirements.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

Licenses issued prior to July 1, 2017
For individual licensees who were issued or who renewed a one-year agent, broker, or solicitor license prior to July 1, 2017, the licensee must be renewed for a biennial insurance producer license by April 30, 2018. Prior to that renewal, the individual licensee must have completed 15 hours of continuing education courses, including 1 hour of ethics, as was required at the time the license was issued or renewed. Title agents complete 7 hours of continuing education courses including 1 hour of ethics.

Licenses issued after July 1, 2017
For all biennial insurance producer licenses issued after July 1, 2017, the insurance producer shall renew on the last day of the second birth month following the issue of the license. Prior to renewal, licensees shall complete the required number of continuing education courses; Title 10 hours; Bail 14 hours; all other licensees 24 hours. The compliance period for completion of continuing education courses in the period between issuance of the license and renewal on or before the last day of the licensees second birth month following issue.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within 3 years from the original completion date.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in New Mexico?

No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next license term.

Are there any CE exemptions in New Mexico?

Any licensee, that has been continuously licensed and in good standing for 25 years or more without a lapse of more than 90 days, is eligible to apply for a Grandfather Exemption.

To apply for the Grandfather Exemption you must submit a written request (letter) with a description of your 25-year insurance experience. Please list your license number on your request. Send your request to Producer Licensing Bureau, PO Box 1689, Santa Fe, NM 87504

How may I contact the state of New Mexico?
Office of the Superintendent of Insurance
Phone: (505) 827-4601
Fax: (505) 827-4734
Web site:
Mailing Address: 
P.O. Box 1689
Santa Fe, NM  87504-1689
Browse our New Mexico Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.