Maine Insurance CE

Browse our Maine Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Maine?

Yes. Our Maine state approval number is: 374.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are open book. Producers may refer to the course material as often as needed. Most of our courses allow you to download the class materials as a PDF. Please check the details page of your desired course to see if such material is available.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Maine?

No. There are no processing fees in this state.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Maine?

Producers: 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2-year license term.


Special Training Education Requirements
Annuity Best Interest
Updated Training Requirement!

Effective 1/1/2022: Maine amended its previous Suitability in Annuities training requirement to a Best Interest training requirement.

Producers licensed prior to the effective date who previously complete a 4 hour Suitability in Annuities course must complete either a 4 hour Best Interest course or a 1 hour Best Interest Update course no later than 6/30/2022.

Producers licensed after the effective date, or those who do not complete the update training prior to 06/30/2022, must complete a 4 hour Best Interest course prior to selling annuity products.

Flood Maine producers who also sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training. 
Long Term Care (LTC)

Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in Maine, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.

Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, LTC producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every renewal cycle.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in Maine?

For non-resident licensees, in order to use this service, you must hold an active license in your resident state. Therefore, in some instances, such as a non-resident Maine adjuster whose home state does not require adjuster licensing, online renewal is not available. In these cases, renewals must be processed by returning the renewal invoice and payment to the Bureau.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years based on the last day of the producer’s birth month. Producers born in even years renew in EVEN years. Producers born in odd years renew in ODD years.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

CE courses may not be taken more than once within a license term.  Credit taken to remedy a deficiency in a prior licensing period does not count toward the CE requirement for the current period.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Maine?

CE completed in excess of the requirement is not allowed to be carried forward to the next license cycle. 

Are there any CE exemptions in Maine?

The following individuals are exempt from CE requirements:

  • Producers who receive their licenses less than one year before their first compliance date are exempt from CE requirements for their first license term.
  • Nonresident producers who meet their home states' CE requirements are exempt from Maine CE requirements if that home state has a reciprocal arrangement with Maine.
How may I contact the state of Maine?

Maine Department of Insurance
Phone: (207)-624-8411
Fax: (207) 624-8599

Mailing Address:
Maine Department of Insurance
76 Northern Ave.
Gardiner, ME 04345

Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Maine Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.