California Insurance CE

Browse our California Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in California?

Yes. Our California state approval number is: 38124.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in California?

A roster fee of $0.65 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in California?

Property Broker-Agent and/or Casualty Broker-Agent, Personal Lines Broker-Agent, Life-Only and/or Accident and Health licensees: 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2-year license term.

Limited Lines Automobile Insurance Agent licensees: 20 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics are required every 2-year license term.

Independent or Public Adjusters: 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics every 2-year license term.

Training Restrictions: A licensee can only get credit for approved courses for the license type held.Life-only agents, accident and health agents, property or casualty broker-agents, and personal lines broker-agents must complete three hours of ethics CE training every license term as a part of the requirements. For those licensees who hold one or more of the above named license types, the 24 hours of CE may be completed in courses applicable for any of the license types held.


Special Training Education Requirements

Initial 8-hour training requirement: Before selling annuities in California, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved annuity training course.

Ongoing 4-hour training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, producers continuing to sell annuities must complete a 4-hour, state-approved annuity CE course in every 2-year license term following the initial 8-hour training completion. Note that effective January 1, 2014 the eight-hour annuity training course will not satisfy the four-hour annuity training requirement.

Long Term Care

Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in California, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.

Ongoing 8-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, producers licensed 4 years or less must complete 8 hours of state-approved LTC training annually for the first 4 years of licensure. (Producers licensed more than 4 years must complete 8 hours of state-approved LTC training in every 2-year license term.)

Important Notice: In order to solicit/sell long-term care insurance in California, agents need to hold a current license as: Life Accident and Health Insurance Agent, and you must comply with the LTC 8-hour training requirements.  If holding a Life-Only Agent license, agents may sell LTC only as an LTC rider on a full life policy, and must also complete the 8-hour training requirements.

Long-Term Care Partnership


Before selling LTCP insurance products in California, producers must first complete 16 hours of state-approved LTC training. Of these 16 hours, 8 hours must be fulfilled in a state-approved classroom, and 8 hours must be fulfilled by taking a state-approved LTC self-study course.

Ongoing LTC partnership training requirement: After completing the initial 16-hour training requirement, LTCP insurance producers must complete 8 hours of state-approved LTCP training in every 2-year license term, which must be fulfilled in a state-approved classroom.


All California fire and casualty producers who sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3 hour course relating to National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.

Homeowners' Insurance Valuation

All California fire and casualty broker-agents and personal line broker-agents who negotiate or sell homeowners’ (HO) insurance will be required to complete a one-time 3-hour homeowners’ insurance valuation training course.

What are the non-resident CE requirements in California?

Nonresident producers selling annuities, LTC, LTC partnership, or flood products are required to complete the same special training/education requirements as resident producers (see “Special Training/Education Requirements” above). 

When do I need to have my CE completed?

Pursuant to Section 1630 of the California Insurance Code, licenses are issued for two year terms. Specifically, the term of the first license begins the date the license is issued and expires the last day of that same calendar month two years later. Any additional licenses issued at a later date will expire at the same time as the initial license.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within a 2-year license term.

Exception: Within the first 4 years of selling LTC products, producers may repeat an LTC course every 24 months from the original course completion date.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in California?

Excess hours may be carried forward to the next year. Excess hours from an approved ethics, annuity or LTC course are carried over as general credit only. 

Are there any CE exemptions in California?

Any person meeting the following requirements will be exempt from completing continuing education (CE) to renew his or her life-only and/or accident and health, property broker-agent and/or casualty broker-agent license, personal lines broker-agent license, or limited lines automobile license.

  1. 70 years of age or older; and,
  2. 30 continuous years as a licensee in good standing in the State of California.

Any licensee that maintains eligibility for 30 continuous years without any disciplinary action is considered to be in good standing. Eligibility is maintained by renewing a license within one year. Licensees with a break in their license caused by late renewals or transferring between employers may still qualify for the exemption.

The exemption from the continuing education requirement for licensees 70 years of age and in good standing for 30 continuous years does not apply to those individuals licensed for the first time on or after January 1, 2010. (Section 1749.3 (c)).

If you believe that you qualify for the CE exemption, please contact the CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331 or email them at Producer Licensing Bureau.

CAUTION: Any licensee that markets long-term care contracts or offers to sell annuity products is still required to meet the specific education requirements for marketing such contracts.

Note: Section 1749.3(c) of the California Insurance Code reads: A licensee shall not be required to comply with the requirements of this article if the licensee submits proof satisfactory to the commissioner that he or she has been a licensee in good standing for 30 continuous years in this state and is 70 years of age or older.

How may I contact the state of California?

California Department of Insurance
Phone: (800) 967-9331

Mailing Address:
California Department of Insurance
Producer Licensing Bureau
320 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814-4309


Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our California Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.