Idaho Insurance Department Trasitioned to SBS
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022, the Idaho Department of Insurance went live on State Based Systems (SBS), a web-based NAIC application that supports state insurance regulation functions. Idaho encourages you to review their flyer to learn how this transition affects you.
Highlights of the Change
- All individual license numbers changed to the National Producer Number (NPN).
- All licensees requiring Continuing Education (CE) when renewing their Idaho insurance license must be CE Compliant before submitting their renewal application.
- Processing of Title licenses remains unchanged and will not be available using NIPR.
- All Surplus Lines Licensees will submit their premium taxes using NPN.
- All licensees should now use SBS to view and maintain important contact information.
- All active companies were assigned a new Idaho Company Number. Your NAIC Company Number (NAIC CoCode) remains the same. Idaho Company Certificate of Authority (COA) numbers did not change.
- All Idaho appointments and terminations must be submitted via NIPR.
National Producer Number
The National Producer Number (NPN) is a unique identifier assigned to each licensed producer during the National Association of Insurance Commissioner’s (NAIC’s) licensing application process. Therefore, all insurance licensees have an NPN. Starting with the transition to SBS, all Idaho licensees will now use their NPN exclusively as their license number. Previous license numbers issued by the Idaho Department of Insurance will no longer be valid. If you do not know your NPN, you can look it up here: https://nipr.com/help/look-up-your-npn
Before renewing an insurance license, producers should check their transcript to ensure all insurance continuing education requirements are met. Producers can use the“Print Education Transcript Button” at SBS to review their CE requirements and compliance status. Education providers must post course completions within 30 days of successful completion of a Idaho Department of Insurance approved continuing education program. Once you have completed a course, you can verify that your credits are showing on your transcript, by visiting: https://sbs.naic.org/solar-external-lookup/license-manager
Continuing Education (CE)
The Idaho Insurance Department requires that each licensed producer complete 24 continuing education credit hours, including 3 hours of ethics. Each licensed producer must complete their continuing education requirements every 2 year license term. The license term expires on the last day of the producer’s birth month and all CE is due before that date.
Check out our approved continuing education courses that will meet these CE requirements in our Idaho catalog of online training at InsuranceStudy.