Producers – Life & Health, Property & Casualty
24 CE hours*, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2-year license term.
*See Special Training/Education Requirements below.
15 CE hours are required every 2-year license term.
Special Training/Education Requirements
- All licensed producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products.
Long Term Care (LTC) Training
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in New Jersey, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, NAIC LTC training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24-month period following the completion of the initial training.
Licensees who write flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour training class on flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program.
Non-resident licensees are not required to meet our continuing education requirements. Non-resident public adjusters who satisfy the public adjuster requirement in their resident state will be deemed compliant for the New Jersey public adjuster requirement. Non-resident licensees must meet the following training requirements, as applicable.
Special Training/Education Requirements
All licensed producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products. *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to New Jersey's law will be deemed compliant for New Jersey's requirement.
Long-Term Care (LTC) Training
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in New Jersey, nonresident producers must complete an initial 8-hour, NAIC LTC training course approved in any licensed state.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, nonresident producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24-month period following the initial training and every 24 months thereafter.
Producers: The license term will expire at the end of the birth month every other year.
Public Adjusters: For both new and existing adjusters, licenses issued or renewed on or after July 4, 2011, will renew the last day of the adjusters’ birth month every other year. The license term will expire at the end of the birth month in the year that will result in a license term at least 18 months in duration.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a license term.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next 2-year license term.
The following are exempt from New Jersey CE requirements:
- Nonresident licensees in good standing with their home states are exempt from New Jersey CE requirements.
- Nonresident licensees who completed a NAIC LTC training course in another state are exempt from taking the special training requirement in New Jersey.
Exam proctor requirements
Online or paper-based self-study final exams are required to be proctored by a disinterested third party, any impartial person who does not have a financial interest in the outcome of the examination. The monitor cannot be related (by family) to the student.
Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material during the exam. The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. If the final exam is not passed on the first attempt, students have an unlimited number of retakes.
Net Study provides information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither Net Study nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.
New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance
Phone: (609) 292-4337 or (609) 633-0818 ext. 50552
Fax: (609) 984-5263
20 W State St P.O. Box 325
Trenton, NJ 08625
PSI Services, LLC
Phone: 877-5-CONTED (877-526-6833)