Insurance Continuing Education in South Carolina
12 credit hours
Topics Covered: Ethics, Law and Legislation
If purchased today, this course must be completed by: September 17, 2020
In this course, we will describe the basic mechanics of Medicare, Medicare Supplemental Plans and other related coverages. We will consider some of the most common Medicare-related frauds.
In addition, we will also provide answers for the most common questions you may encounter from your clients about these coverages and frauds.
You will read some interesting and important case studies to bring this topic to life. We detail the most recent issues that have come up in the real world of providing Medicare and Medicare-related products to consumers. And how to help them avoid Medicare frauds and scams.
Rules for South Carolina Insurance Continuing Education (CE)
- This state allows for course material to be downloaded. Please note that not all courses will have content that is suitable or available for downloading.
- Exam is closed book.
- Effective January 2011, the deadline for biennially complying with continuing education and license renewal is the last day of the producer's month of birth. Producers born in an odd numbered year must comply by the last day of the birth month in an odd numbered year. Producers born in an even numbered year must comply by the last day of the birth month in an even numbered year.
- Multi-line (property and casualty and life, accident and health) producers must complete twenty-four hours of CE credits. A minimum of eight (8) credit hours must be completed in each line of authority and a minimum of three (3) credit hours of Ethics.
- Producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 12 hours in the line of authority held and 3 hours of Ethics. Multi-line producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 6 hours in each line of authority and 3 hours of ethics. Failure to comply by the last day of the producer's birth month will result in the license being lapsed.
- Click here to download the South Carolina Department of Insurance Continuing Insurance Education Reminder Notice. Last Updated 1/11/2018
- Effective January 1, 2017, a valid personal and/or business email address is required by law. Please visit Online Services to update your email address. The Department will no longer be mailing hard copy renewal notices to licensees.
- Producers must renew the license, obtain fingerprints, complete 24 hours of continuing education including a minimum of 3 hours of Ethics, and pay the biennial recordkeeping fee to the Continuing Education Administrator by the deadline or the producer license will lapse.
- Up to 18 CE hours in excess of the CE compliance period may be carried over and applied to the next compliance period. (The law allowing reduced CE compliance was repealed January 1, 2010. This Section applies only to those producers who were granted a reduced CE compliance prior to January 1, 2010.)
- An individual who arrives after the start of a CE class or leaves before the class is over will not receive credit for the continuing education classroom session, regardless of the number of hours completed during the class session. Instructors may deny credit to anyone who is inattentive (reading the newspaper, talking, texting, using cell phone, etc.).